Fun facts about Wintergreen:
- The town population as of the 2010 Census, is 165.
- Wintergreen Resort is considered a "Mountain Top" resort, in that all amenities are built on peaks and ridges, rather than at the base like a traditional ski resort.
- In 1975, the ski area opened with much fanfare and Virginia Governor Mills E. Godwin in attendance.
- The resort has 100% snow-making capability.
- Most of the resort and surrounding attractions range from 2500 to 4000 feet in elevation; temperatures, on average, fall about 4 degrees for every 1000 feet of elevation, making Wintergreen's summit typically 10-15 degrees cooler than the valley towns.
- With one golf course nearly 4000 feet above sea level and another 42 holes at over 900 feet, golfers can choose their weather for playing.
- The original welcoming center, the Wintergreen County Store, was added to the National Register of Historic places in 2005.
- In January 1978, Wintergreen hosted its first Winter Special Olympics.
- A transplantation effort saves native plant species and uses them in the resort's landscaping.
VRPS Annual Conference, September 8-11, 2012