Developed in memory of James K. Cole, a Parks and Recreation Professional from the City of Virginia Beach, who was dedicated to the profession. As a memorial to his life's work, an academic scholarship was established in his name.
The Foundation for the Virginia Recreation and Park Society is receiving scholarship applications through COB June 1, 2015.
Designed to assist junior, senior and graduate students majoring in the Leisure Service field who can demonstrate a need for financial assistance.
$1500 towards the cost of undergraduate or graduate education.
Scholarship Eligibility Requirements:
- Must have a current grade point average of at least 3.0.
- Must be have achieved sophomore or junior status at time of application or be a graduate student.
- Must be pursuing a major in the Leisure Service Field.
- Must be a resident of the Commonwealth of Virginia at the time of application.
- Must, through follow-up documentation, demonstrate financial need.
Criteria for Selection:
- Past course work in leisure service field.
- Financial need.
- Volunteerism and professional involvement.
- Quality of reference.
All applications must be submitted before close of business on June 1, 2015.
The Foundation of the Virginia Recreation and Park Society, a 501(c)3 organization, operates exclusively for the benefit of, and to carry out the purposes for, the leisure movement in Virginia, by: promoting and improving leisure opportunities and amenities in Virginia; furthering the course of research and development in all areas of leisure in Virginia; providing scholarships on a non-discriminatory basis to worthy students and professionals in the parks, recreation and leisure services profession or related field; and promoting leisure awareness among the general public of Virginia.
- Informs the public on critical concerns affecting parks and recreation.
- Educates the public as to the benefits of healthy leisure pursuits.
- Educates the public as to the importance of proper use and preservation of our natural resources.
- Supports students in an accredited park and recreation curriculum through a continuing scholarship program.
- Provides professional scholarships to practitioners in the field of parks and recreation through appropriate scholarships and grants.