Tuesday, October 8, 2013

52 Ways to Use Your VRPS Membership: Week 41, Athletic Debuts

by Nancy Turnage, VRPS Central Office

So ... perhaps it is a sign of maturity that I can publicly admit that I turned 49 last week.  I can't believe it.  To some, that is young; to many more (including me), that is old.  When my children were small, one of them told Grandma "YOU'RE OLD!".  Her response was classic:  "And if you're lucky, someday you will be too."



The point of this post is not a pity party, but rather to point out that as a 49-year-old who will be 50 in 2014, I can officially partake of the Virginia Senior Games.  Working on behalf of the Games from the VRPS Central Office for the past couple of years has taught me that there are lots (LOTS) of athletes who lose partners, change partners, ditch partners, and bow out altogether of partner and team events in the weeks leading up to the Games.  I joked that when I am "of age", I want to partner up with all these lost "couples" and roster-deficient teams and have a "ball", so to speak.  No one would really have any expectations of me, and with all the pressure off, there would be no limit of fun, right?  In some cases, I think just having a pulse would qualify me.

So, if anybody is looking for a really (REALLY) bad (or shall we say "inexperienced") table tennis, bowling, Pickleball, basketball, tennis, or volleyball player, I'M YOUR WOMAN.



  

No comments:

Post a Comment